Wednesday, March 11, 2009

the shopper is here!


pattern: betty shopper by amy butler
fabric: amy butler daisy chain. exterior: wildflowers - navy; lining: mosaic river
other materials/notions: canvas for interfacing, peltex 70 stabilizer for bottom and interior pockets, extra large eyelets
modifications: n/a
date completed: 11March2009
a gift for: maria. oldest sister

i'm whooped. i took it nice and slow on this bag. i had to read through the modified directions i downloaded three times. something just wasn't clicking the first time through. and the peltex 70, it just feels cumbersome to me, especially when you're trying to stitch on a very long seam with pins sticking you in your thighs.

i love this bag...the shape, the size...but working it through the machine to topstitch gave me a fit! i had the same problem with the madison bag for the same reasons. this design. augh! hard as i tried, i couldn't feed it evenly to get a nice topstitch. it was just bad, for anyone, not just someone who wants it super straight right. after three times of RIPPING, i decided to use a simple star embroidery stitch.



it's not perfect, but i can pretend it's freehand and THAT i can live with it! :D

if i were to make this bag again, i would definitely divid the interior pockets with a topstitch down the middle or in threes. they lay open for the peltex that is heavy given the length and height. you could easily put something bulky in the pocket, rather then in the center without knowing you were. and i'm not wild about the handles...turning under the ends then folding...for the bulk. i want something neater, daintier?! but i have to admit, once through the eyelets, and with a nice knot, doesn't look too bad!

am i just complaining? i really do like the bag! it's just my sewing that can be so frustrating!

you can't tell how big this large shopper is as i've no person on which to model, but it's 28 inches long. yeah, that rocks!

you know, i'll probably sew this same pattern again. in time. LOL!

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

That's an awesome bag! It looks great!

Stephanie said...

I love this bag! I really like the star topstitch you did, instead of a straight stitch and the knots through the eyelets are a nice touch. Great job!! Now you've got to go shopping with your bag in hand and show it off!
I finished the Lola apron and I'll be posting it tomorrow. All the binding on it got me a bit crazy but in the end it was fun to sew.

bearbear said...

Wow! What a bag! I love the style, the fabric, everything. And I think the topstitching is so creative that you did, make it so unique! I have a special presser foot that I use to make topstitching straight but you were working heavy duty! You did a great job. And I also love the knots. Makes it look very cool. So glad to see this post tonight. My daughter and I used to make bags and sell them in craft shows and I think we got "burnt out" on making bags but seeing this makes me want to try one again.

audreypawdrey said...

This is awesome! I love the fabric and the bag looks fabulous. I really like the stitching that you chose over the top stitching. It makes it more unique, I think. I really need a bag like this!

a friend to knit with said...

i think that everything about this bag is PERFECT!
i love how you pay so much attention to detail.
i am SURE your sister will love it. and what a treasure....to travel through her days with your creativeness at her side. that is just the greatest.

QuiltedSimple said...

I think this bag looks just about perfect! Love it - now I'm thinking I really need to go buy that pattern!
Kris

Jessica said...

I just absolutely love that bag too! The fabric, the design...it's perfect. I'm really going to have to get my hands on that pattern!

bearbear said...

I'm on here again to let you know I permanently closed down my FB account for a lot of reasons. I've heard things I don't like about it and it's just too much of a time waster for me. So. . thought I'd let you know I'll photograph my special presser foot for topstitching and explain how it works. Look on bearbear within the next few days. It's a great little foot. I love it! What kind of machine do you have?

countrychicken said...

I love the bag. I am a bag person,I have tons and always can find a use for one more. Love the star stitching.

amandajean said...

it looks FABULOUS!!!

Philigry said...

it looks great. i made this bag for myself and i do love it. i think i need another one! i think it is really hard to do a nice topstitch on a bag too, but yours looks really great!

Full of Heart said...

I think it's GREAT!! I love the print, and the shape is fantastic!
I envy your attention to details, I wish I had a longer attention span!

Iris E. said...

Thanks for all of the inspiration, Ana~
I have nominated you for the Lemonade Award:
http://craftingmamalibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/03/generosity.html

XO
Iris

HeyYeah said...

It's fabulous! Great choice of fabric and I love the shape of the bag.