Tuesday, August 5, 2014

zendalas for fabric design

Over a year ago I discovered Zentangle. I've always wanted to learn how to draw, but took only one class first semester of my freshman year in high school many, many years ago, and had pretty much given up hope of having the guts to learn to do so until I came across this artistic method. Because it's lines and strokes, what's become my methodical brain after years of structure, it was like a dream come true, a desire fulfilled. I could certainly draw lines and fill in with pretty patterns and designs especially with all the wonderful samples given. I was even "allowed" to use a compass, protractor, stamp or template and fill these in with more lines, circles, shapes, anything, everything. I have since accumulated quite a nice collection of books for Zentangle Inspired Art and have made beautiful, simple notecards and stand alone pieces that I've given away and hope to sell.

This morning while I was starting to cut some fabric for mug rugs Tee wants for our den, well, I was thinking about how I've also toyed with the idea of designing my own fabric and having it printed.  Recently I've been working through "The Secret Me Book" and one of the exercises is listing 100 things you want to do, inspired by the list Summer Pierre did back in 2011. Designing my own fabric was top of the list.

I've known about Spoonflower for some time and had a fat quarter printed a few months ago with my logo. But that didn't count. I wanted something original, something fun.

Why not combine many of my loves...Zentangle, fabric design and graphic design?

This is the last Zendala I created. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't this make for a pretty fabric design?"


I've scanned it and am currently improving the quality of the filling and lines using the brush and pencil in Photoshop.  Because I drew the zendala using micron pens on watercolor paper, when scanned the computer picks up the pen strokes and the tiny spots missing ink invisible to the naked eye. That's where the brush comes in. I'm a self-taught Photoshop user so I'm doing it the only way I know how...quick selecting the continuous blocks of black in small segments then filling them with a black foreground color.  Then I touch up the edges as needed. When I've finished the entire design I'll save it as a jpeg file, upload to Spoonflower, select my layout and order myself a yard. I'm excited!

No comments: