Wednesday, May 1, 2013

pocket purse

i don't know about you, but come summer time, i don't really want to lug around a huge bag unless i'm going to the beach, on a picnic or have a specific activity to attend.

perhaps i want to take my sketchbooks and tangle amidst the beautiful flowers of my neighborhood museum gallery gardens. In that case I'll carry my art student tote.

the saturday market tote is perfect for shopping at the farmers' market.

obviously i have bags for many occasions!

lately, however, i've noticed i just grab my smartphone and wallet to dash around town doing little errands like mailing off some letters or picking up a few groceries. and when we walk to meet up with our friends for a nice cold one...or two...i certainly don't want to carry a big, ole purse to lay on the floor or sit on a crowded counter. i've a small leather purse i bought years ago. the only problem with it is that i have to take my phone out of its protective case and i can only carry my driver's license and some cash or credit card. i just don't like that.

i searched through my pattern stash and came across this one.
perfect.

i used Wrights double fold bias tape quilt binding for the strap. it's the same width as what the pattern calls for. because it's already seamed and folded, it's quick and easy to attach. cut it to a length that fits your frame and you're good to go.
besides the zippered front pocket, i added a pocket to the back. it's not necessary unless you're like me and you want your individual items securely separated.
the bag can be made in sizes ranging from 4" - 7". this is the 5". of course, you can make it any size you want. 5" is perfect for a smartphone in an otterbox case and a small credit card size wallet like mine.

it lies nice and flat against my hip and is lightweight. i can wear it comfortably, unencumbered, and carry plenty of camera equipment when I'm out shooting. sweet, sweet summertime. i'm ready for you. bring it on!

No comments: