Monday, November 15, 2010

sugar & spice & everything nice

lest we dwell on the negative, i wanted to share this adorable little sundress i made not too long ago, late this past summer, having had a very vivid dream that i "needed" to make doll clothes. lol!


i just happened to have an american girl doll handy to dress and model.

ok. i confess. i have several american girl dolls.

we had nothing like them when i was a little girl and so later, on my own, i invested and adored each and every one, especially the accessories and wardrobes. definitely a brilliant concept and marketing scheme on the part of american girl, llc.

at some point i really do hope to gift them to a little girl. alas, the little girls in my family are now almost grown women and never took a particular interest to dolls, certainly not for safekeeping.

18 inch dolls are the perfect size to sew for. the pieces are small and require some dexterity, but nothing like sewing for barbies. i can't imagine!

i've another super cute outfit cut out and ready for the machine.


not only are these great practice pieces for making gathers, ruffles, sleeves and necklines, but great stash busters. the fabric i've used were all remnants from previous projects. cute, funky, mod!

thanks to everyone who left me a kind note regarding my mishaps with daywear. i'm really not in the least bit upset or demoralized. we learn from our mistakes and we perfect our skills often by trial and error.

6 comments:

Kristyn Knits said...

how adorable!! I love your confession of having more than one American Girl doll. :) you know my fondness for them. one day I will pick my favorite and make the investment...one day.

Jennifer said...

That's cute.....definitely, if you can sew doll clothes you can sew just about anything!

audreypawdrey said...

That is so cute! I want to make some doll clothes for Zerah, but she just isn't into dolls yet. I can't wait to go with her to pick out her first American Girl Doll.

Stephanie said...

Love it! I can't imagine sewing barbie clothes either, that would drive me batty! This is a great way to practice learning all the techniques to sewing clothing. Plus much cheaper then practicing on larger clothing since you need less fabric.

Journeying Five said...

love it! really love it! I have three girls (10, 8 and 6) who play with karrito dolls, like american girls, just different.

i have been thinking that i want to sew them clothes. if you have a second could you email the pattern? iamakaratemom@gmail.com.

really cute!

mulheresdocoveiro said...

you are really talent! my momy used to create all costumes of my barbies.. a lot of work!