Monday, November 1, 2010

oh, the lengths to which we will go

i feel like i've stepped out of a novel written by two authors i enjoy very much, emily and charlotte brontë, and as though i should move as a whisper of a breeze through the moors when i slip into the warm goodness of my very own cloak. i finished it this morning and oh how i love it!


taking a few photographs required some patience as did slowly turning and pinning the great lengths of hem. but hand sewing the frog closure caused me to raise my voice to the silent walls in desperation. i didn't want to grab the lining that the dark thread not show and i wanted to be done! a deep breath, some better lighting, i took a seat and quietly, persistently finished.


though a bit daunting for the size of the pieces with which you must work, this really is a delightfully pleasant sew.


and should you care to make yourself a cloak or know someone who would like one, i used mccall's #4139 from the costumes section of the latest catalog, with a variation of capes a and c.

it's to be in the lower 60s and upper 50s this week. we've not much yet by way of fall color. regardless, november finally brings us seasonal temperatures perfect to meander through the still of my days in my new cloak.

happy november to all!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow....what gorgeousness! Love it! Several years ago I made a cloak, black panne velvet lined with deep gold taffeta, I used to be into old-style dancing and 19th century costumes. Still have the patterns....and the cloak.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful! That is one stunning cloak and the photos really capture it well, nicely done. I hope you get lots of chances to wear this, since it needs to be shown off!!!

audreypawdrey said...

It is beautiful! I don't hope it get cold soon, but I do hope it gets cool enough for you to wear it soon because it is awesome! Love it!

Kristyn Knits said...

Oh my goodness. What a lovely cloak!! and oh what a project!! I love seeing you! I hope it was a joy to wear.

QuiltedSimple said...

Very, very lovely Ana! Fantastic job - I hope you get lots of use out of it - I know you'll have lots of enjoyment!
Kris