Monday, October 25, 2010

wishful thinking

the next sewing project i've on my mind is to make myself a cloak (i'm calling it a cloak because i like it and its not for halloween...tis the season!). i found a simple pattern and have altered the length to suit my short self.


i'm super excited to get started, but i've the issue of fabric. i want it to be eye catching and functional yet not tacky or cheesy. should anyone have any suggestions on a suitable material that is light to medium weight with nice drape i'd love to hear it. in the meantime, i continue to browse locally and virtually. i need a good 6.5 yards each for the outside and lining so i must be cautious as to what i buy and spend. i'm also shying away from stripes and fabrics with nap because of cost.

why a cape?

i've long admired the capes used by the students at the University of the Azores in Ponta Delgada as seen here in this scanned photograph from the Festival of  Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagros on my visit in may 2002.


i've done some browsing to find out where this tradition originated and i'm assuming it follows that of the University of Coimbra, Portugal found here...

One of the most visible and distinctive traditions is the use of the academic costume of the University of Coimbra, a black suit and cape used on special occasions by the students and which was adopted by other Portuguese universities and is actually used by students of almost all higher education institutions in the city and across the country.

i wore my cap and gown proudly on graduation from university, but why celebrate for just a day when you commit four years of hard work and hard play?

of course, my mom suggested i pursue graduate studies at the uac.pt (she had ulterior motives) and i'd be granted a cape of my very own. dreamy as that would be, today is about my reality. i won't have the badges associated with my academic pursuits and community involvement, but a cloak i shall have nonetheless!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

How about a fleece? They come in all sorts of prints now and aren't too expensive.

audreypawdrey said...

I must say that I love the idea of going back to school to earn a cape! That is fantastic!;) I also love capes, but the amount of yardage has always delayed me from making one. I can't think of a budget friendly alternative right now, but I will keep my eyes open. Joanne's has those 40% off coupons which would be very helpful on such a purchase, but I don't know if they would have what you are looking for.

bear said...

Wow! That's a lot of fabric! I love your new look. It's fantastic! Will be coming back for more!