Thursday, October 28, 2010

classic with a splash of color


as luck would have it, i went to hancock fabrics yesterday with the idea i'd simply browse some fabric to get a feel for what's available in cottons, fleece, wool blends, brocades and more. i looked on every shelf and display. so unlike me who usually goes straight for what i'm in need of. near the cutting table i stumbled upon some "sportswear wools" and this pretty gray with embroidery jumped out at me right away. it's not super heavy yet will be warm and should drape nicely. it's classy as a traditional gray, yet has some embellishment to make it fun. i think as a long, hooded cloak it will look interesting and playfully elegant. the sales associate and customer in line behind me thought so, too!

i was positively smitten when i saw it was on sale for 40% off. there were only 4 yards left on the bolt so i pulled the pattern to consult the back. it suggested i would only need 4.5 yards for a small and medium in a 60" wide material. furthermore, i knew i had taken a good eight inches off the length. however, to be sure, i drove back home (after a quick stop at the trader joe's next door for some yummy dark chocolate treats...but that's another story!), measured out what would be 4 yards and 60 inches and lay my pattern pieces on top. perfect! i jumped online to consult the hancock webpage. they showed the same fabric at the same discount. but, why wait for shipping when i can make an easy five minute drive, again, and support my own community?

i then found this delicious mauve lining fabric, also 60 inches so 4 yards would do, thread and a frog closure which i will use in place of ties.

and you know who i called first in my excitement over my new fabric and savings? my mom, of course! it was nice to hear a smile in her voice. i promised her a photograph of the finished piece.

time to stop staring and start cutting!

4 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

It is going to be beautiful! I love the gray with the embroidery. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Kristyn Knits said...

oh my goodness! I can't wait to see this beautiful creation!! I hope you're on to sewing. I love that you called your mom...and heard a smile in her voice. how loving of you. happy sewing!!

Stephanie said...

That's going to be gorgeous! Love it!!!! How lucky to find the perfect fabric and on sale too :) Have fun sewing!

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous fabric.....it will make a lovely warm cloak!