Tuesday, June 16, 2009

a really BIG bag



big bags seem to be the rage this summer...for the beach, to go to market. Having made a couple myself from amy butler like the Betty Shopper (see here), i decided to come up with my own groovy big bag using a shape that i like, sewing methods that i've learned. i sketched it out yesterday morning and got to cutting, ironing and sewing. this fresh paint by michelle d'amore (blogged about here) was just perfect, inside and out! i finished just a little while ago.

it's BIG! yes, it measures 22" across the bottom and 30" from the shoulder strap down to the bottom. it may be a little bit too big for someone 5'1" like me, but now that i've got a pattern and my sewing know-how (on the first try...so exciting. maybe i really CAN sew!), so easy to tweak and play with, including mixing and matching fabric on the outside as well as various pockets on the inside, and size, of course for different frames.

super cool! oh, so it was raining outside today? sweet, refreshing rain. i didn't hardly notice for the warmth inside, but did enjoy a moment in my raincoat and with my camera looking for some kind of photo op. sweet, refreshing rain. my garden is so appreciative of your generous nature. :)

8 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

I LOVE this bag - so large and roomy - would be great as a go anywhere bag. And the fabric is so cool. Amazing.
Kris

audreypawdrey said...

This bag is great! I always love your fabric choices and this is no exception.:) I need a big bag, I do believe now!

Stephanie said...

Look at you, sewing a bag without a pattern... you go girl!!:) It's so true, you make enough of something, it's pretty easy to take the knowledge you've learned and tweak it into your own. Beautiful job and lovely fabrics! Hopefully there will be many summer outings this year that will require a BIG bag! :)

Jessica said...

Now that is a super large bag. I am inkling for another large bag to pack goods for the beach. You always use fabrics I just love.

a friend to knit with said...

oh, you are SO good!!!
pattern writing could also be in your near future!
how cool is that!
love the size, shape and of course your choice of bright fabric. yep, perfect for a summer outing!

Philigry said...

i love this one, your bags are so great. big bags are so nice and useful too!

Iris E. said...

Oh beautiful work, Ana. I can envision the perfection of your seams from experience now!!!
I love the colors, of course, and perhaps you will show us a pic of it filled with beachy supplies, or maybe shopping purchases....?

XO
Iris

skeinsherway said...

I don't think I could ever have enough big bags... I love them, and I think I may have infected several of my children with said love...
Those fabrics are so bright and lively- excellent bag!