Tuesday, April 14, 2009

diversification

i'm lovin' stephanie of jonquils and ladybugs' garden tour tuesday's and wanted to share with her, with you, what's in bloom for me, too. gardening and sewing are totally creative arts, in perfect harmony, one to the other, don't you think?

so let's see what's workin' it in my garden and urban space this cloudy yet wonderful tuesday.

tea olive - it's put on so much growth in just the past week or so with the warm temps we had, consecutively. one of my favorite evergreens for the small, quiet flowers with a gentle, yet enormous orange fragrance...


a purple lily-of-the-valley type flower of which this is the very first bloom. i planted several of these bulbs last fall, but again, didn't make note of the variety...


azaleas - still in glorious color given they've been open now for quite some time...


bridal wreath spirea - ok, this is actually in my neighbor's yard, but i can count it as i'm usually the one who keeps it pruned back during the summer (shhhh...don't tell!). i admit i really only like it when it's in bloom. any other time and it's kind of just green, woody (a deciduous shrub) and can get super scraggly without constant care...


pink double petal petunias - one of several hanging baskets (the other two are a deep purple) i picked up at our most wonderful local state farmers market...


pineapple sage - i'm so excited to have started a new herb garden planted last week. there's tuscan blue rosemary, hot & spicy oregano, bergartten sage, lemon thyme, sweet basil, too...


thanks for joining me, allowing me this bit of diversification. and pop over to Stephanie's blog, not only for the garden tour, but for her most awesome sewing, crafting and family life!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Ana,
I'm so glad you're participating in my garden tour and what beauties you have! I love pinapple sage, it smells so good, I had some planted last year and I'm thinking about getting some for this year. So you cook with it and if so what is your favorite thing to use it in? I'm never sure what it would work best in.
Since you are much more south then I am all of your plants are looking so lush already. I think it will be another month or so here until we are caught up with you. Until then I'll just enjoy the beautiful blooms through your blog!!!

a friend to knit with said...

wow. you have so much talent oozing over there!
i don't know the first thing about gardening. but i sure enjoy looking and learning about others gardens......thanks for sharing, ana.
and happy tuesday!!!!

APA said...

Stephanie...

I had a really nice pineapple sage when I gardened in Columbus GA, but never used it for any specific dish. Although for culinary use, I planted it for its fragrance and to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. So much fun to watch!

One suggestion I have seen is to place the leaves in a cake pan to scent a plain cake. And I googled a few recipes that used it in a smoothie, for a paste, and as a rub for chicken. That sounds good! I'm thinking...like the lemon thyme I love so much to cook in with rice and sprinkle over the top when I grill or bake sweet potatoes...it would add the same gentle flavor? I'll definitely be browsing some recipes online, especially as it seems to be doing well so far.

The flip side to a warm spring and early bloomers? Extreme heat and drought that wilts and withers. Hopefully we'll all know a more gentle, balanced summer. :)

audreypawdrey said...

Your garden tour is wonderful! All of your plants are so vibrant and colorful. Things are not quite blooming here and I can not wait. Thanks for sending a little bit of spring my way!

bearbear said...

I, too, really enjoyed the tour and several things were running thru my mind as I read and admired. First of all, I almost had a wreck today looking at someone's flower garden - it was so beautiful! And the young lady was outside expanding it! wow! We have a bridal wreath that a golfing buddy of my husband gave us and it's beginning to bloom, too. I had never heard of this (being the non-gardner that I am! ha!) but I think it's beautiful. This is only our second year to have it. I very much enjoyed your tour as I do love flowers and I agree that you are multi-talented. Your #1 talent is kindness:)

Iris E. said...

sigh...all that growing makes me filled with delight!
thanks for the peek!

XO
Iris

QuiltedSimple said...

Love your blooming flowers! Wish mine were blooming that prettily! Thanks for a sneak peak!
Kris