Thursday, February 12, 2009

playing with color. practical bag


pattern: practical bag by grand revival
fabric: solé by valori wells for free spirit. paisley. cornsilk & agapantha. key lime
other materials/notions: none
modifications: none other then alternating fabric & panels

a fun, easy-to-make bag to get you back in the sewing swing of things should you need to do so like i did. roomie & uncluttered, perfect for a quick run to the bakery, grocery for light, bulk items or to carry extra towels and a change of clothes to the beach or the pool (i've had beach on the mind lately!).

because this bag is not cut on the fold for a full front & back panel...you cut 4 separate (8 total for exterior & lining) giving you center as well as side seams...i decided to alternate my coordinating fabric, front to back, inside and out. pretty cool! if i were more inspired & focused on sewing time, not on the bazillion other things going on i should be worrying about, i would have chosen four fabrics, total, to do a different lining.

but, i like it as is. it's super lightweight, has no canvas, yet is sturdy with 1/2 inch seams. super easy to carry around. you could use a home dec if you needed to carry heavier objects, but nothing too thick for the corners and turns that could get bulky.

and as most of us carry individual zippered bags and such, you could use it as a purse without worrying about those small items getting lost. i really like it, me who likes pockets and folds, each thing in its place. it could be the vibrant color. i'm also not a paisley person, but when its retro like this, i can be!

nope, it's not my four seasons. spring bag. it's just a practical play bag!

the weekend is almost here and valentine's day. do more then celebrate another hallmark occasion. laugh & love, giggle & skip. life is good for the people & beauty surrounding us!

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Now that's bright and cheerful!

Jessica said...

In my bag making addiction I might just need to make this bag as well...that fabric is too much fun!

Iris E. said...

That is one heck of a bag, Ana! Just what I needed to see on this gray wet day.
I am going to follow the link to that pattern!
Gorgeous color choices, as usual.
XO
Iris

bearbear said...

I'm so happy to see you posting and sewing again! That is a very cute bag and the fabric is fantastic. I know you must feel so much freedom creating again. Sometimes carving out time to create is difficult. That's the trouble I'm having right now. A lot of people to take care of.

QuiltedSimple said...

Glad to see you back here and see what you've been working on! I love the fabrics you picked out - very springy, bright and cheerful!
Kris

audreypawdrey said...

I love the bag! It is so bright and cheerful-perfect for the beach! I hope your Valentine's day is wonderful and full of time with the people that you love.:)

HeyYeah said...

Great bag! I love the happiness of the fabric and the shape of the bag. It really makes me smile to look at it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful!

a friend to knit with said...

oh yes. to the pool. or better yet, beach! a colorful play bag for sure!!!
happy sweet day to you, my friend! hope your day and weekend is full of goodness!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and your very kind comments! I'm lucky -- I get to work in the same shop with Sew~Amy!

countrychicken said...

I love the bag - I'm going to have to look into getting one of those made. Just what we need to brighten things up.

Lisa said...

Very cute! One of the things I like most about making instead of buying is the uniqueness we can bring to our lives.

Philigry said...

oh, i love this bag. it it so me! great job!