Tuesday, February 24, 2009

boy things


pattern: main panel - McCall's M5551; ties - Simplicity 2824
fabric: six color desert camo twill & moose country - designed & produced for jo-ann's
other materials/notions: none
date completed: 24February2009
a gift for: robert. 9 year old nephew

a reversible little chef's apron!

i had a pattern piece cut out on my own, but decided i wanted a designed pattern to compare sizes as i've no children with whom to work with in person. i was pretty darn close in what i thought should be the measurements, mine just a bit more narrow. wow!

i intended the camo to be the "front" but like the novelty print, moose country & wildlife trek, a whole lot. it's nice that he can use either. robert likes to help when you're cooking, frying and flipping the pancakes or waffles, always has since he was a wee one and had to stand on a chair. i made a messenger bag & apron for his sister. thankfully my sib finally sent me the measurements (yes, i asked over a year ago, but we won't fuss about that!) so i can now send him his own special package of homemade goodness. i'm a bit more comfortable with girl things as that's what i know best, being all sisters in my family. but, this was fun & i hope he'll like it. he's sweet & sentimental that way.

there's also to be a pair of pj pants for him...



...from this soft & warm wolf themed flannel. i'll start on these next to have things in the mail asap.

and the pieces are all cut out, including the canvas & peltex 70, for the large betty shopper by amy butler i've mentioned before for my other sib.



balance. i'm having to learn balance for what are now life's circumstances. making time for my sewing is super important. maybe i can sneak up here in the darkness of night when i can't sleep? if i close the door, no one will hear the machine chirp, chirping? :D

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love the fabric you chose for the Amy Butler bag. The apron is so cool, love the moose fabric!

audreypawdrey said...

The Amy Butler bag is going to be beautiful! I need someone to make me bags like that! The apron is fantastic for a little boy, too.

I have been known to sew with the door closed really early in the morning (5am) if I wake up and can't go back to sleep on the weekend.:)

a friend to knit with said...

you are the best aunt!!!! and how cute that he likes to help in the kitchen! he will look adorable in his apron! and soon will be sleeping like a king in those jammies!

i can't wait to see that bag. i love that style.....

i love how productive i can be in the middle of the night. one hour seems to work like two in the wee hours. (knitting is quiet....how about knitting?) :)

a friend to knit with said...

oh! and i am so glad you posted! :)

QuiltedSimple said...

So glad you posted! I love the apron - he will love it and you'll be known as the best aunt ever! Cannot wait to see the bag in all it's finished glory!
Kris

HeyYeah said...

I'm so glad that you posted too! I love the apron. It's a lovely idea to use the moose and camo fabric for the boy's apron. I have a nephew about the same age and I can just picture him in it (so you're inspiring me!).

I think the fabric for the Amy Butler bag is perfect & I can't wait to see the finished result.

I hope you do manage to find some time for sewing in your life. I also ignore my sleeping partner & get up early at the weekends to sew!

Jessica said...

I've been eying the AB bag recently...I keep walking by the pattern at the fabric store. I can't wait to see yours finished. And that apron is too cute!

Jennifer said...

The boy apron is great, you have done a terrific job! Those Amy Butler fabrics are pretty too.

bearbear said...

Love the little boy's apron - precious. My little granddaughter loves to cook, too. If you'd like to see a cute video of her cooking, go to garrettemilypaige.blogspot.com. Amy Butler bag will be gorgeous. I've eyed that pattern and bag at my quilt shop for a long time and am tempted. Her fabrics are fabulous. Can't wait to see your bag. And Sleep! Can relate. I have to have help with sleep. Have spent many countless nights upstairs sewing or reading because I couldn't sleep. God bless you. I understand!

countrychicken said...

Love your choice of boy fabrics. I find there are millions of choices for girls but the boy choices are limited. Love the bag - I love bags. Can't wait to see the finished products.