Thursday, January 29, 2009

lap quilt. preliminary border

this border is kickin' my butt.

first, i thought i'd do connecting triangles of the blue and green tie dye, like i used in the hourglass, for the four corners. and i'd cut strips of the same two around all four sides.

i didn't like the color match against the "leaf" and "marble" batiks i used to border the blocks.

so i decided to connect triangles of the leaf and marble. i like it much better. but how do i lay it out?

i did pyramids of the marble.



the corners would not match.

alternating seems to work better. however, there's still the issue of the corners. maybe i'll do a solid square of the yardage seen in the bottom right which is to be the back?



it does help to have these photos to re-create. for some reason, it's easier to see then when standing directly over the top.

i'll gladly take any suggestions, to all you quilters out there!

and in the meantime, if i could make myself let this sit and begin something else, trust me, i would. ar. ocd. i can yet be some of both though time and getting older has certainly helped with that! but now, of course, my brain's fried with age. wore, slap out! :D

8 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

It is looking great! I really like the second one with the triangles alternating and the purple in the corner.:)

QuiltedSimple said...

I like the second picture better - and as for getting a pieced border to line up - look at Patchwork Times - somewhere on one of her websites she has a sheet on how to get patchwork borders to fit. This is looking great though - love the colors!
Kris

SewAmy said...

I like the first one, am I being complicated. sorry. Either one will look great though.

bearbear said...

I vote for the second one and I'm completely amazed at your creativity and how you work with color. Give yourself some credit. You're doing a great job. I know what you mean about how it helps to look at it on the computer. There's just something about that!

a friend to knit with said...

i am absolutely NO help.....as i think they both look wonderful. a true work of art!!!

Philigry said...

what every you decide, it will look great. i would do wahtever is easier.

Iris E. said...

OK! Wow, I am getting scared (a-feared, as my young one would say) of the border looming at me. Not so much in making it super fancy, like yours, but just laying it out, hoping it all lines up, etc.

I am voting for the top choice. But part of me wants something that would be more visually solid-looking, so as not to detract from the obvious awesomeness of the centerpiece. To set it off, somehow.

But what do I know, I am only a complete novice!

XO
Iris

Jennifer said...

I like the first option as it seems less fussy and cluttered than the second...and for the corners, had you thought of square in a square blocks instead of plain? I've done that on the corners of a quilt so I didn't have to fuss with matching a border.
Cheers....Jennifer in Australia