Monday, December 29, 2008

pumped. practice hour glass block

inspired by these fabulous batik quilt tops (see here and here) and with this trusty book in hand as reference, i stole a little quiet time this morning as sadie entertained tee to practice what i have decided will be a block for my own batik lap quilt, the fabric which i have had on hand for months now.


these are not the actual batiks, just scraps from my stash in somewhat coordinating colors to practice, of course! i'm super pumped because i finally understood piecing triangles to squares and strips. and my points match up pretty darn good, too! yippee!

my plans are to have a 48" x 58" lap quilt...four 10" blocks across in 5 rows with a 4" border plus the binding (i haven't done the math...maybe it'll be a tad bigger then 4' x 5' for the width of the binding?). i'll alternate this hour glass with a solid block matching a 4-patch block (or something simple like that).

it'll take me a while to cut everything and i'll need to work on tee's flannels (no, i haven't done those yet!), but if i do one block at a time, when i've time, it'll be quite pleasurable and i'll know a great challenge...until i get to the actual quilting and binding, that is. I'm getting freaked again! :D

5 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty. Glad I inspired you! Take it slow, breath deeply, and any questions at all - email me. You are on the right track so far - can't wait to see it finished!
Kris

Jessica said...

I absolutely love quilting with batiks...they are so beautiful. This block is great!

a friend to knit with said...

a beautiful block.

and wishing you all the beauty that 2009 has to offer!
cheers, ana!

audreypawdrey said...

I am so glad to see that you are starting a quilt! I love the batiks and I know it will be beautiful. Your points are fabulous.:) Happy new year!

bearbear said...

Gosh, I just love the way you coordinate colors. Those are beautiful! And your points look perfect to me. You SHOULD be pumped! Can't wait to see this quilt as it progresses AND the finished product!